The Scientific Programme was held on the 11th & 12th August at the Auditorium of Sri Lanka Foundation, Colombo 7. Eighteen oral presentations and nineteen poster presentations were made during the sessions. Prof. Nelun De Silva, Dr. Malika Karunaratne and Dr. Dulmini Kumarasinghe were the panel of judges for oral presentations. Dr. Rohini Wadanamby, Dr. Hasini Banneheke and Dr. Nayaomi Danthanarayana Were the panel of judges for poster presentations. Cash prizes and certificates were awarded to the first three oral presentations and poster presentations. The scientific programme was enriched by five plenary lectures and three symposia.
Plenary lectures were delivered by the following speakers.
||- Quality Assurance in Microbiology Laboratories|
||-The transmission, reactivation and evolution of Varicella-Zoster Virus: the solution to a 40 year-old virological mystery?|
||-Impact of HPV vaccination in prevention of cervical cancer|
||- The Era of “OMICS” and prospects for Malaria eradication|
||- Interactive Case Discussion|
The plenary lectures were chaired by Prof. Vasanthi Thevanesam, Dr. Geethani Galagoda, Dr. Omala Wimalaratne, Prof. Nilanthi de Silva and Dr. Ajith Nagahawatte.
Symposium 1 - Multidrug Resistant Bacterial Infections – How to Combat?
- Dr. Janake Munasinghe - The problem from a clinician's point of view
- Dr. Jane Stockley - Strategies to manage antimicrobial resistance – Attempting to turn the tide .
- Dr. Rohan Chinniah - Application of Behavioural Science in Infection Control and Antibiotic Stewardship – The Force Awakens
Symposium 2 - Stem Cell Transplants - Sri Lankan perspective
- Dr. Nicole Gilroy - Infective complications in stem cell transplant recipients and challenges in diagnosis .
- Dr. Prasad Abeysinghe - Overview of future stem cell transplant in Sri Lanka .
- Dr. Nelun Perera - Preventing Invasive Fungal Infections in Stem Cell Transplant recipients: Writing a policy – Leicester, UK Model .
Symposium 3 - Pulmonary Aspergillosis
- Prof. Arunaloke Chakrabarti -Types of pulmonary aspergillosis and latest methods for investigation
- Dr. Amitha Fernando - Clinical scenarios and situation analysis in Sri Lanka
The Symposia were moderated by Dr. Kushlani Jayatilleke, Dr. Pavithri Bandara, Dr. Samanmalee Gunasekera, Dr. Janaki Abeynayake, Dr. Preethi Perera and Dr. Primali Jayasekera
The five free paper sessions were chaired by Prof. Jennifer Perera, Dr. Madhumanee Abeywardena, Prof. N.P. Sunil-Chandra, Dr. Rajiva de Silva, Dr. Geethani Wickramasinghe, Dr. Rohitha Muthugala, Dr. Sagarika Samarasinghe, Dr. Sujatha Pathirage, Dr. Nadeeka Janage and Dr. Dhanushka Dasanayake.